Monday, November 30, 2009

How Can We Explain the Differences Between Male & Female Salaries?

Jingyi Zheng

Female MBA graduates not only earn significantly less than their male colleagues, but the gap is growing over time, according to a paper from the National Bureau of Economic Research. The authors tracked the earnings of 1,600 MBAs who graduated from the University of Chicago’s Graduate School of Business between 1990 and 2006; they attribute the differences to choice of subjects (women took fewer finance courses), that women’s careers were subject to more interruptions, and that the women worked fewer hours than the men. Why? Maybe some women MBAs had children, and many cut back on hours, but these factors are unlikely to have played much of a role in the pay gap.
The most important reason is gender gaps on the brain. At the University of California at Irvine, psychologist Richard Haire's findings show striking differences in the way male and female brains work.
Men have more grey matter, they use it to solve the problems. But in women' heads, the white matter connecting different parts of the brain does most of the work. By the age of 12, the geometry area of girl's brain looks like an eight-year-old boy's brain-- They're four years behind. So,this is why girls usually don't like subjects like economics and mathematics. And girls' spatial abilities are worse than boys .So they also don't like sports and architectonics. Because of these reasons it is difficult for women to find jobs. So it leads to the gap in earnings.
However these factors don't determine that boys are more excellent than girls.Because the language area of a boy's brain is three-to-four years behind the language area of a girl's brain. So most girls are good at writing ,speaking and analyzing information.More interestingly, girls' emotion is richer than boys'. It is very important, because if girls didn't have rich emotion, what would the world become?
Although people all have brains, the different functions make for a colorful world, they make our life richer and richer.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jingyi,
    As you know,I finished my study on Fruday, but I'm still writing a comment. The topic of this week is intresting for me and I enjoyed with your Journal. I was surprised that the geometry area of girl's brain is four years behind boy's. Actually, when I was a shool girl I prefered studying language to studying mathematics or geography. And now I am satisfied with my character.(Yuko)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jingyi,
    Your article is very interesting. I think there isn’t anything that can justify that a women earns less money than a men if they make the same work, but unfortunately this happen in a lot of countries. I hope that when my daughter will be adult this kind of differences will not take place.
    Araceli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jingyi,
    Very interesting.
    I enjoyed reading your information I like it I agree with you about why male tent usually for sport and female tent for doing write or read.
    Thanks for a new information.

    ReplyDelete