Sunday, November 29, 2009

Gender & the Mind: Reflections Based On Observing My Parents

Mustafa Al Saeed

The mind consists of two sides (the right and the left) and each side consists of billions of small cells. I have been told there are differences between women’s minds and men’s minds.

I remember my mother could do cooking, call my school, listen to the radio and looked after my brother, and those days when she taught me and my sisters and my brother, she could organize her time very sharply.

On the other hand my father can work very hard and he had worked in the biggest government oil company in the world and every weekend he took us to the sea. It is very hard work. The ordeal is not the sailing, but the weather, because the temperature in Saudi Arabia in the summer is more than 50 degrees and we could go there but my mother and my sisters could not go with us because it is very hard work for women. That is using the mind also because sometimes the boat’s engine stopped working while we were in the middle of the sea, and my father could fix it very easily while my mother could not understand how it works, and every time my father wanted to teach my mother something of mechanics, she could not understand perfectly as my father, and every time my mother taught him how he could take care of their baby he could not do that while listing to the radio.

The men use a left side of their minds more than a right side, and the opposite is true for women.

I believe women use their right side because it is more important than the left for them. Also men use their left side because it is more important than the right for them. Men and women are created different and thus they have different minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment