Monday, November 9, 2009

Formative Experiences & Present Thoughts


Yuko Iwata

My name is Yuko Iwata. I’ve come from Japan with my husband. My husband is a visiting professor at the University of Otago, and we will stay in Dunedin until next June. When I discuss the people and experiences that have influenced me, I can’t tell you without talking about my husband. He was my professor when I was a university student. Then he taught me everything, not only economics (his major subject) but also playing tennis, skiing and horse riding. The latest thing is playing golf. Anyway he likes teaching. So, most of my experiences have been with my husband. During his research holidays we’ve stayed or traveled in many countries, for example, the U.S.A., the U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Malaysia, Thailand and South Korea.

Now I’m interested in many kinds of western foods. In the supermarkets, I find some vegetables, breads, cheeses and sweets which I’ve never seen. I’d like to taste those foods and I’d like to learn how to cook them. That’s why I’m studying English.

Finally, my message for my classmates is: “I’m very happy to meet everyone from many countries. We have the same purpose to progress our English skill and have good communication in English. I’m always curious about your different cultures (your foods, families & dreams etc). I hope that we can respect and understand each other.”

6 comments:

  1. wow ,you have an amazing experiences that you have traveled lots of country. I wish i would travel lots of country in future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it is very interesting to read your journal, and you have a great husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yuko,
    Your life sounds very interesting. You travel a lot and I believe that travelling permits you knowing new cultures and learning many things. I think that you are a very good cooker. I’ll invite you to eat “paella” if I find good ingredients to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello yuko,
    I wish you a lot of happiness in your life
    Fatmah

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello Yuko,
    How amazing!!you have travelled a lot of places.I admire at your experience.You are very kind and friendly.Best wishes to you!And if I have a opportunity,I really want to meet your daughter and son!!I think it is very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yuko,
    This is beautiful chance to study with you in the second time.
    You are very intelligent and ambitious women to study until this age.
    I hope more success in your life.

    ReplyDelete