Monday, December 7, 2009

Reflections on some prodigies

Mustafa Al Saeed

Iskander Yousif and his sister have graduated without studying at school. They just studied at university straight away, majoring in maths. Earlier, their father taught them at home, and he has good experience in mathematics. Furthermore, Iskander started his study at university when he was 12 years old. Sufiah, who is Iskander oldest sister, was accepted for study at Oxford University when she was just 13 years old.

They do not say how they studied at home, but I suppose that the father taught them regularly and used some materials from schools, in addition he is intelligent and would have worked hard in his teaching.

It is extremely likely that family is very intelligent to study at university so very young and be successful. Mathematics is not an easy subject, I studied more than ten maths papers at university, though my subject was not maths but computing. It is not very difficult to understand a lot of mathematical theories but the most complicated thing is to apply the theories in work or in life. I am very interested in maths and I know it is very hard to study that subject. Not only young or teenagers that did not study at school before, but adults who finished their high school, find it very hard. Maths is a tool for every science, especially in the technology part. Technology relies on maths.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mustafa,
    I agree with you that Mathematics is a hard and complicated matter, and it is very important in others subjects and studies like physics, chemistry or engineering. I also studied some maths at university inside my statistical papers, and I like maths too.
    Araceli

    ReplyDelete